December 12, 2010

An impromptu family reunion

My Great Great Uncle Albert recently turned the big 9-0. I, however, had never met him (at least not when I could remember him). Apparently all he wanted for his birthday was to get together with the family. So he and his wife drove down from Rhode Island to New Haven, Connecticut and people came out of the woodwork to see them — and about 20 people from my family in NJ caravanned up to join in the fun!

It was so fun to see my Grandma, mom, and aunts/uncles reconnect with family that they hadn't seen in so long. So many of the people there knew exactly who I was because they said I was a spitting image of my mom — and I'm pretty sure that I was mistaken for her  once or twice before introductions were done!

L to R: Uncle Danny (Dante), Uncle Albert, Mom, and me

I met a lot of relatives for the first time (at least that I can remember) and also saw some familiar faces. Brad also got to witness my Italian heritage firsthand which I'm sure was very entertaining for him!

One of my favorite parts of the day was getting the story behind our dining room table from Uncle Albert himself. We inherited the table a couple of years ago knowing it was a family hand-me-down, but I never knew the full story. Apparently it was one of two built by my Great Grandfather's uncles and father to serve as the basement kitchen table. I love to think about the pots of "gravy" that simmered next to this table and the conversations that were had while sitting around it. Uncle Albert was so happy to hear that the table was still in the family!

We also enjoyed the view of the Long Island Sound, which is just minutes from my second cousin's house where we had congregated.

B and me shivering!

Dad and me

The beautiful shells that collect on the shore

All in all, it was so fun to be able to hear stories and see/meet people in my extended family. I felt very blessed, and I'm so glad that this impromptu get-together happened!

1 comment:

Amy said...

You do look a lot like your mom! Glad the get-together was fun.